Norman O’Flynn born 1971, lives and works in Cape Town as a painter, sculptor and all round constructor.
Norman has a deep understanding of the pop art tradition and explores the meaning of this genre in today’s context. He expresses it in a visual language that looks at the explosion of knowledge, the viral spread of imagery and ideas, the speed of change and the culture of celebrity and self-adulation. Ever present is the uncertain threat of violence, normalised and made palatable as it is fed to our many screens – paradoxically keeping us both connected and disengaged.
- 1988-1992 BA Fine Arts, Michaelis School of Fine Art, University of Cape Town, South Africa
COMPETITIONS & AWARDS
- 2007 ABSA L’Atelier finalist
- 2006 Pro Helvetia Swiss Residency Fellowship
- 2005 ABSA L’Atelier finalist
- 2004 Brett Kebble Art Awards finalist
- 2004 ABSA L’Atelier finalist
- 1992 Irma Stern Award for Excellence in Printmaking
- 2017 Better & Better. Worldart, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2016 The good, the bad and the BOOM! Worldart, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2015 BANG BANG BOOM. Diedericks Faber. Johannesburg / Cape Town, South Africa
- 2012 Guardians. Worldart, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2010 Deep Down we all want to rob a Bank. Erdmann Contemporary. Cape Town, South Africa.
- 2009 The World Needs Me. Erdmann Contemporary, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2007 Never Too Late To Be A Man, Bell Roberts Contemporary, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2005 The Bull and Other Stories, Bell Roberts Contemporary, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2005 Currency, AVA, Association for Visual Art, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2004 Behind The Tent, Thapong, Gabarone, Botswana
Discover and buy his thought-provoking creations at Masterpiece.art.